Date Added: 18 September 2021
: 30 September 2021
Job Title: Communications Officer- full time
Working For: Pete Wishart MP (Perth and North Perthshire)
Location: Constituency Office, Perth
Salary: £21,529 to £31,705
Length of Contract: Permanent
Based in the busy constituency office, (home working at present) dealing with local media & managing social media output. You will promote the work of Pete Wishart MP through print, online & broadcast media.
You will work with the MP & staff & liaise with local offices to secure media coverage. Work includes drafting press releases & comments, writing articles, liaising with local journalists, arranging photo calls, briefing Pete Wishart, & involvement in other forms of media coverage. You will also be expected to undertake casework when required.
You will be a key media contact, liaising with internal teams & external partners, including newspapers, broadcasters, & digital media outlets. You should demonstrate sound political & media judgement. You will be involved in identifying local & political issues & campaigns to promote through the local media & monitor media coverage.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Draft press releases, articles, newsletters & comment on political & local issues
• Respond to media enquiries
• Monitor media coverage
• Liaise with journalists & external stakeholders & foster good relations
• Support Pete Wishart to develop press stories & campaigns
• Create content for & manage social media output
• You must demonstrate excellent written & verbal communication skills
• Attention to detail, including proofreading skills & accuracy
• Ability to work under pressure, respond quickly to developing events, produce accurate information, & draft press lines within tight timescales
• Ability to plan & organise time and resources effectively
• Sound political judgement & the ability to identify appropriate local issues & lines for media coverage
• Experience of promoting news stories & setting the media agenda
• An excellent knowledge of graphics/video editing & creating software
• Ability to work well within a small team & independently, & respond flexibly & creatively to a range of requests
• Ability to work flexible hours. Some weekend & evening work may be required
• Knowledge of the SNP, Scottish politics, UK political & parliamentary systems & of Perthshire & local issues is beneficial
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 30 September 2021
Interviews will take place in early October. Closing time for applications is noon.
Applicants should send a CV and covering letter to Elaine Wylie, Office Manager- firstname.lastname@example.org by noon on Thursday 30th September.