Date Added: 14 September 2021
: 1 October 2021
Job Title: Parliamentary Intern
Working For: Neil Coyle MP (Bermondsey and Old Southwark)
Salary: In line with IPSA pay scales (4 days per week)
Length of Contract: 6 months, with a possibility to extend
Part time, 4 days per week. 6 month fixed-term contract with a possibility to extend.
Neil Coyle MP is looking for a Parliamentary Intern to work in his busy Westminster office. Students or recent graduates are encouraged to apply, particularly if they live in Bermondsey and Old Southwark.
To join Neil’s team you will need: excellent written and verbal communication skills; experience of researching briefings; an attention to detail; an awareness and understanding of local and national political issues; the ability to work in a highly pressurised environment; a willingness to help out in the constituency office on Fridays; and a commitment to Labour values.
Key responsibilities will include:
• Researching, drafting and responding to a high volume of policy casework from constituents
• Providing research and briefings on specific subjects relevant to Neil’s constituency and policy interests
• Assisting with diary management for a very busy schedule in Parliament and Southwark
• Monitoring legislation, Early Day Motions and other relevant Parliamentary business and maintaining an up to date knowledge of the legislative process
• Managing requests for tours and PMQs tickets from constituents
• Accompanying Neil to relevant meetings and following up on agreed actions
• Ensuring professional records are kept adhering to GDPR requirements and respecting confidentiality at all times
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 1 October 2021
Interviews will be held in the week commencing 4th October 2021. Neil is seeking a new team member to start as soon as possible.
Please send a relevant CV and one page covering letter outlining how you meet the job specification and your suitability for the role to Graeme Smith: firstname.lastname@example.org quoting ‘Parliamentary Intern’ in the subject line.
Please note that, due to the large interest in working for Neil, we will not be able to acknowledge receipt of all applications.