Date Added: 6 July 2021
: 31 July 2021
Job Title: Parliamentary Assistant
Working For: Chi Onwurah (Newcastle Central)
Salary: IPSA payscale (£ 25,500-36,374)
Length of Contract: Permanent
Chi Onwurah MP is looking for a full-time Parliamentary Assistant, a demanding full-time role in a busy parliamentary office. Key responsibilities:
• Research & briefing on a wide-range of policy issues
• Drafting speeches, articles, blogs and press releases
• Optimising media exposure & managing communications – website, press work & social media (rota cover)
• Leading on project work
• Monitoring & advising Chi on policy and political developments in Newcastle and nationally
• Drafting oral & written parliamentary questions & following up on the answers
• Supporting Chi’s frontbench and APPG work
• Managing the day to day work of a Parliamentary office, engaging with constituents & other miscellaneous activities, recruiting & supervising interns/studentships
• Working cooperatively with the MP & Constituency office on managing communications, correspondence & diary, using Office 365 , One Note & Sharepoint
• Managing Parliamentary Interns
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate:
• considerable adaptability, initiative & creativity in dealing with the varied & ambiguous situations that Westminster throws up
• excellent political judgement & the ability to think & plan strategically
• self-motivation & a willingness & ability to get involved in a wide range of tasks
• strong attention to detail & excellent research, analysis, project management & writing skills
• Understanding of the media environment and media communications
• a strong understanding of issues that affect Newcastle & the North East & Chi’s role in promoting the area in Parliament & more widely
• Interest in & curiosity about Newcastle & it’s inhabitants past, present & future
• a strong understanding of Chi’s key policy interests
• that they are comfortable doing a wide-range of different tasks prioritising a heavy workload
• sympathy to the aims & objectives of the Labour Party Parliamentary experience is not essential but applicants will be expected to demonstrate a good understanding of the political environment nationally & in Newcastle.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 31 July 2021
Interview and start dates flexible.
There will be a two-stage interview process. Interviews can take place in London or Newcastle.
Chi values inclusivity & diversity & welcomes applications from candidates of all backgrounds.
To apply, please submit a CV and covering letter demonstrating how you fit the criteria listed above and a short, one page essay on ONE of the following topics to firstname.lastname@example.org
• What should a distinctively “Labour” digital and science strategy look like?
• What are the strengths and weaknesses of Newcastle’s economy?