Date Added: 21 May 2020
: 1 June 2020
Job Title: Parliamentary Researcher
Working For: Taiwo Owatemi MP (Coventry North West)
Salary: £25,500 to £35,308 FTE plus benefits. (In line with current IPSA pay scales, this will be pro-rata for 22.5 hours)
Taiwo is looking for a Parliamentary Researcher on three days a week to support her work in her Westminster office. The successful applicant will be happy to work both independently and as part of our small, close-knit team. We will consider applications for flexible working. Please note that occasional evening or weekend work may be required.
Previous experience in a similar role is desirable but not essential. Taiwo welcomes applications from everyone regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, faith, disability or background.
Key responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
* Develop and maintain knowledge of bills, EDMs, legislation, Hansard, debates, etc.
* Analyse, evaluate and interpret data to ensure the MP is accurately informed on key issues.
* Prepare and present briefing documents for committees, parliamentary questions and legislation etc.
* Ensure the MP is fully briefed on potential questions and motions to be put to the House.
* Accompanying Taiwo to meetings and following up on agreed actions as appropriate.
* Respond to routine correspondence and enquiries from constituents, the media, lobbyists and pressure groups.
* Undertake research on a range of subjects.
* Drafting blogs and updates for Taiwo’s website, newsletters and social media.
* Project work.
* Advise the MP on policy issues.
* Parliamentary diary management.
The successful candidate will demonstrate:
* Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
* Ability to manage own workload, prioritise and work under pressure.
* Excellent IT, administrative and organisational skills.
* Experience of dealing with highly sensitive and confidential information.
* Ability to work flexibly as part of a small team.
* Knowledge of the key issues concerning people in Coventry North West and an understanding of the city.
* Understanding of and sympathy with the aims and goals of the Labour Party.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 1 June 2020
Please note the closing time is 12 noon.
Further assessment of shortlisted applicants will be undertaken via video conferencing. It would be helpful if you could include your availability in your covering letter.
We will ideally be looking for someone to start as soon as possible.
If you believe you have what it takes to join the team, please submit a covering letter (1 side of A4 max) and CV outlining your suitability to Siddo Dwyer:firstname.lastname@example.org
Due to the high volume of interest expected, applicants will only hear if they are long listed.
Please note that this role will initially be recruited on a 6-month fixed-term contract at which point roles and the office structure will be reviewed to ensure it meets the needs of the MP and constituency. Subject to this review, this role may then become permanent.
May 25: Closing date changed to June 1