Date Added: 14 January 2020
: 31 January 2020
Job Title: Caseworker
Working For: Catherine West MP (Hornsey and Wood Green)
Salary: In line with IPSA pay scales
Catherine West MP is seeking a full-time Caseworker, working between Westminster and her constituency office in Wood Green.
Your role will be to provide advice and support to Catherine West MP’s constituents on a range of issues, such as housing, welfare, immigration and health, and help to resolve problems through liaison with government agencies, voluntary sector or other organizations.
Applicants should have a strong interest in local and national politics, sympathy to the values of the Labour Party and an awareness of the constituency of Hornsey & Wood Green. You will work alongside another Caseworker with overall line-management by the Head of Office.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Previous experience of managing and progressing casework, ideally for an MP, as well as knowledge of immigration policy, housing policy or practice and welfare rights.
- Excellent people skills.
- Excellent writing, verbal communication and IT skills. Competence in using Caseworker.MP software is desirable but not essential.
- Interest in current affairs and sympathy with Labour Party values.
- Knowledge of a community language is desirable.
The job will include:
- Attendance at surgery to interview constituents concerning their cases and issues.
- Assess casework coming in via post, email, or telephone.
- Generate responses to constituents and action letters to appropriate agencies (ie, Home Office, Haringey Council, Jobcentre Plus).
- Assess replies received and generate response letters to constituents.
- Phone answering in rotation dealing with enquiries from constituents.
- Assist with the work of other colleagues as required and communicate appropriately with internal and external contacts.
- Retaining records and information confidentially and in line with the Data Protection Act.
- Some evening and weekend working may be required.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 31 January 2020
Monday 10 February 2020. Please note the interview will also include a test so please allow up to 90 minutes. This will be a two stage process.
The successful candidate will start ASAP.
Please send a covering letter outlining your suitability, paying particular attention to the skills we are looking for, together with a CV of no more than two sides of A4 and contact details for two references (including your current or most recent employer) to:
Post: Office of Catherine West MP, House of Commons, London, SW1A 0AA
We welcome applications from groups currently underrepresented in the Houses of Parliament such as BAME communities and people with disabilities.
We will only contact shortlisted candidates.