Date Added: 9 October 2019
: 21 October 2019
Job Title: Parliamentary Assistant
Working For: Jonathan Ashworth MP (Leicester South)
Jonathan Ashworth MP is looking for a confident, self-motivated individual to work in his busy Westminster office. The ideal candidate will be well organised with very strong research, communication and administrative skills, and will sympathise with the aims and values of the Labour Party. Experience of working in Parliament or a political environment is strongly desirable.
Job Details: Jonathan Ashworth is looking to recruit a Parliamentary Assistant in his Westminster Office. The main focus of the role will be assisting Jon with his Parliamentary commitments, providing research support and managing his Westminster diary.
The duties of this role include:
- Diary management
- Undertake research on topics for Parliamentary contributions and local campaign issues
- Analyse, evaluate and interpret data to ensure the MP is accurately informed on key issues
- Develop and maintain current knowledge of Bills, Early Day Motions, legislation, Hansard, debates etc
- Ensure the MP is fully briefed on potential questions and motions to be put to the House
- Prepare and present briefing notes for committees, press releases, parliamentary questions, etc
- Undertake project work sometimes in conjunction with the Constituency office
- Liaising with the constituency office and ensuring work in the constituency and Westminster link up where possible
- Respond to routine correspondence and enquiries over the telephone and by email
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Sound research and analytical skills
- Attention to detail
- Good IT skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Ability to multitask and handle numerous on-going projects
- Ability to prioritise tasks and manage own workload in a fast moving environment
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 21 October 2019
Application deadline: Midnight on the closing date
Interviews: Week of 28 October 2019
Start Date: As soon as possible, to be negotiated
Unfortunately, due to the number of applicants it will not be possible to acknowledge all applications.
Please apply via a covering letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org