Date Added: 15 May 2019
: 1 July 2019
Job Title: Constituency Assistant
Working For: Paul Blomfield MP (Sheffield Central)
You will be working as part of a close-knit team to help ensure the smooth running of Paul’s constituency office. You will help with a wide range of administrative tasks including managing Paul’s diary, dealing with incoming post, e-mails and telephone calls to manage the large volume of contacts that Paul receives, researching and drafting responses on policy issues and ensuring constituents are given a first-rate service on a variety of issues. You will also be involved in helping to arrange and attend public events across the constituency, assist with Paul’s Social Media presence and website and other tasks as required.
- Deal with enquiries by phone, letter, e-mail and in person, taking appropriate action to respond, document or escalate concerns/enquiries.
- Manage Paul’s diaries.
- Respond to all enquiries in a timely, comprehensive and professional manner.
- Attend surgeries as required and support community engagement activities, (occasional weekend and evening work will be required).
- Ensure enquiries are dealt with in a confidential and appropriate manner and make sure that records of contact are kept whilst adhering to the Data Protection Act & GDPR requirements.
- Research and draft responses to constituents’ correspondence.
- Other duties will involve drafting letters and reports and maintaining the electronic and manual filing systems and undertaking other duties within the constituency office as required.
- As first point of contact with the office you must have a pleasant telephone manner with the confidence to deal effectively with constituents, outside bodies and politicians.
- Strong organisational and administrative skills with an emphasis on accuracy and attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills, in order to be able to identify constituents’ issues and respond or pass on to colleagues.
- Good research skills and political insight for communicating with constituents on policy issues.
- Key IT skills including use of the Microsoft Office suite.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team and be able to manage a large and varied workload.
- Sympathetic to the ideals of the Labour Party.
For full details see Paul's website https://www.paulblomfield.co.uk/news/2019/05/15/vacancy-full-time-constituency-assistant-for-paul-blomfield-mp/
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 1 July 2019
Interviews are scheduled to take place on 12 July.
Start date - end of August/start of September to be negotiated.
A covering letter outlining the reasons why you believe you are suitable for the position along with a CV of no more than two sides of A4 should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line – ‘First Name, Surname - Constituency Assistant’.