Date Added: 14 March 2019
: 22 March 2019
Job Title: Parliamentary Intern
Working For: Luke Pollard MP (Plymouth Sutton and Devonport)
Salary: £10.55 ph (London Living Wage, due to rise April 1st)
Luke Pollard, MP for Plymouth Sutton and Devonport, is looking for an enthusiastic, organised intern to join his busy Westminster office. Luke is the Shadow Environment Minister responsible for fishing, water and flooding.
The paid internship will last 2 months with the possibility of extension. The successful applicant will have a key role supporting Luke’s parliamentary assistant in carrying out Luke’s administrative and parliamentary duties.
As a newly elected MP, Luke is an energetic fighter for Plymouth and the far south west to get its fair share of funding from Westminster. Luke runs a number of campaigns from transport to defence, environment to supporting refugees. Applicants should be passionate about politics, the far south west and changing the world. Politics is a mess and Luke is looking for someone who is impatient for change, creative and determined to make a difference to the poorest in society.
Responsibilities will include (often in the course of a single day!) but are not exclusive to:
• Media monitoring.
• Policy research on complex issues.
• Writing speeches and preparing speaking notes at short notice.
• Communications – drafting and coming up with ideas for blogs, press releases, tweets, Facebook posts and op-ed articles.
• Video editing and digital campaigning.
• Organising events.
• Admin tasks e.g. arranging meetings and diary management.
• Talking calls from constituents and drafting letters to constituents.
• Research on local, regional or national issues.
You do not have to have worked for an MP before to apply for this job and Luke encourages people to apply whatever your background – energy and enthusiasm matters more to Luke than where or if you went to University. Ideally, the successful applicant would have:
• A good knowledge of Luke’s campaigns, Plymouth and the far South West.
• Prior experience working in an office.
• Excellent research, writing and communication skills.
• Social media experience.
• Ability to work independently, show initiative and work well as part of a wider team, demonstrating a positive and flexible attitude.
Occasional evening work may be required to help Luke with events and his weekly Facebook Live.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 22 March 2019
Start day will be around the end of April/ beginning of May but the exact start date will be subject to security clearance. Interviews will run from 25 March until Friday 29 March.
Deadline is 11am.
Please send a CV outlining relevant skills and experience, as well as a cover letter stating why you want to work for Luke and what you can bring to the role to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please put “WESTMINSTER INTERNSHIP APPLICATION” in the subject line. Cover letter must be max 300 words.