Date Added: 7 November 2018
: 23 November 2018
Job Title: Constituency Assistant
Working For: Barry Sheerman MP (Huddersfield)
Salary: Within IPSA payscale
I’m looking for an exceptional individual to join my hard-working constituency team as a Constituency Assistant. The successful candidate will be passionate about politics, have good organizational skills and the ability to multitask effectively.
You will be based in my central Huddersfield office. You should be able to interact with people at all levels and be able to quickly acquire the knowledge required to assist constituents. You will need excellent written and verbal communication skills, and strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Analyse patterns of enquiries and produce reports
- Attend surgeries and other meetings as required
- Deal with standard queries from members of the public
- Draft responses to constituents, ministers and other bodies
- Assist in the use of social media in the constituency, publicising work and surgeries etc
- Gather relevant information to assist with resolving cases
- Log all cases; monitor progress and ensure identified actions are taken
- Manage and progress portfolio of casework appropriately
- Retain records and information confidentially and in line with the Data Protection Act
- Assisting with general administrative tasks as and when required
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and to deadlines, managing your own casework portfolio
- Good IT skills including Microsoft Office and social media
- Interest in and knowledge of politics and parliament; commitment to the aims and values of the Labour Party and Barry’s interests and activities
Experience working in a caseworking or administrative role is desirable, as is experience with another MP’s office, but these are not essential.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 23 November 2018
As soon as possible. May appoint before the closing date.
Email C.V. and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org