Date Added: 11 October 2018
: 2 November 2018
Job Title: Parliamentary Assistant
Working For: Alberto Costa MP (South Leicestershire)
Salary: In line with IPSA pay scales
Alberto Costa, Member of Parliament for South Leicestershire, is recruiting for a Parliamentary Assistant to join his team based primarily in the Westminster Office, the role may also require occasional work in Alberto’s South Leicestershire Constituency Office.
The role will require you to work as part of Alberto’s busy Parliamentary and Constituency teams – assisting with diary management, Parliamentary business, constituency matters and general administration.
The successful candidate will have the following:
• Ability to carry out tasks quickly and to a high standard, with a clear and concise writing style.
• Good knowledge of key social policy issues.
• Excellent organisational, interpersonal and administration skills are essential.
• Strong communication and IT skills (including social media).
• A methodical approach to record keeping.
• Keen interest in current affairs.
The job description includes, but is not limited to:
• Effective management of both the Parliamentary and Constituency diary.
• Responding to constituents, stakeholders and others in a professional, courteous and timely manner.
• Managing the central inbox, both email and post, and providing general administrative support to the office – e.g. ordering stationery, booking tours, arranging tickets to the Public Gallery.
• Communicate with constituents clearly and sensitively over the telephone.
• Maintain a good knowledge of current affairs and relevant guidelines/legislation and how they may affect constituents.
• Ensure cases and all correspondence, including campaign emails, are dealt with in a sensitive and confidential manner, adhering to the Data Protection Act principles and respecting the confidentiality of data at all times.
• Competent use of IT including casework management systems, Microsoft Office packages, email, internet and social media.
• Assist the MP with other Parliamentary duties including organising and attending meetings and liaising with the media and working with social media.
• Monitor media coverage, liaise with media and prepare press releases when required (on Constituency and Parliamentary matters, non-party political).
• Provide relevant briefings on a range of local and/or national matters.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 2 November 2018
Interviews will take place shortly after the closing date for this position.
Start date is to be confirmed and will be discussed further at the interview stage.
Candidates should send an email attaching a CV and cover letter specifying how you meet the requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org ‘Parliamentary Assistant’ as the subject.
Detail any notice period, and ensure all documents associated with your application include your full name in the document title i.e. ‘<Full Name>_CV’.
Candidates will be notified via email as to whether they have been shortlisted for interview. Due to the high volume of expected applications, we shall only be able to provide feedback to those candidates who have been shortlisted.