Date Added: 13 September 2018
: 22 September 2018
Job Title: Parliamentary Intern
Working For: Luke Pollard MP (Plymouth Sutton and Devonport)
Salary: Real Living wage as outlined by the Living Wage Foundation https://www.livingwage.org.uk/what-real-living-wage
Luke Pollard, MP for Plymouth Sutton and Devonport, is looking for an enthusiastic, organised intern to join his busy Westminster office. Luke was recently appointment Shadow Environment Minister by Jeremy Corbyn with responsibility for fishing, flooding, water and coastal communities.
The paid internship will last 2 and a half months until Christmas. The successful applicant will have a key role supporting Luke’s parliamentary assistant.
Luke is an energetic fighter for Plymouth and the far south west to get its fair share of funding from Westminster. Luke runs a number of campaigns from transport to defence, environment to refugees. Applicants should be passionate about politics, the far south west and changing the world.
Responsibilities will include but are not exclusive to:
• Media monitoring.
• Writing speeches and preparing speaking notes at short notice.
• Communications – blogs, press releases, tweets, Facebook posts and articles.
• Video editing and digital campaigning.
• Organising events.
• Admin tasks e.g. diary management.
• Calls from constituents and drafting letters to constituents.
This role is ideal for someone looking to get their first foot on the ladder in the world of politics. You do not have to have worked for an MP before to apply for this job and Luke encourages people to apply whatever your background. Ideally, the successful applicant would have:
• A good knowledge of Luke’s campaigns, Plymouth and the far South West.
• Prior experience working in an office.
• Excellent research, writing and communication skills.
• The ability to quickly pick up new skills, solve problems and work well under pressure.
• Capable of using Microsoft office.
• Social media experience.
• Ability to work independently, show initiative and work well as part of a wider team, demonstrating a positive and flexible attitude.
• Good organisational and administrative skills with the ability to prioritise tasks.
Occasional evening work may be required to help Luke with events.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 22 September 2018
Midnight 22 September, however interviews will be running from w/c 1 October and the position may be appointed before the end of the deadline.
Please send a CV outlining relevant skills and experience, as well as a cover letter stating why you want to work for Luke and what you can bring to the role to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “INTERNSHIP APPLICATION” in the subject line. Cover letter must be max 300 words.