Date Added: 15 May 2018
: 1 June 2018
Job Title: Parliamentary Assistant – Constituency Office
Working For: Dan Jarvis MP (Barnsley Central)
Salary: In line with IPSA pay scales.
Dan Jarvis, the MP for Barnsley Central, is seeking to recruit a member of staff to join his busy team. This is a vital role working in his constituency office in Barnsley. The Parliamentary Assistant will work with the other members of the team to provide an excellent service to Dan’s constituents and to support Dan’s Parliamentary work, and will ideally have experience within a policy or research role. Excellent written English skills, good organisation skills, a commitment to outstanding service, and a professional telephone manner are essential. A driving licence is desirable and this position may involve some evening and weekend work. A commitment to the aims and values of the Labour Party is desirable.
1. Analyse, evaluate and interpret data to ensure Dan is accurately informed on key issues.
2. Give advice on policy issues.
3. Prepare and present briefing notes for committees, press releases, parliamentary questions etc.
4. Progress casework as required.
5. Undertake project work as required.
6. Provide generalist admin support.
7. Respond to routine correspondence and enquiries.
8. Undertake research, usually from readily available sources, on straightforward subjects.
9. Accompany Dan to constituency events.
10. Adhere to the General Data Protection Regulation principles and respect the confidentiality of data at all times.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 1 June 2018
Interviews will take place on Friday 8 June in Barnsley. The successful candidate will be encouraged to join the team as soon as possible after this date.
Please send a CV (maximum 2 pages); and covering letter (maximum 2 pages) that details how your skills and experience meet the person specification, which is availble to download here: https://www.danjarvis.org/job_advert_for_parliamentary_assistant
Please email to: email@example.com
Please note, the closing date is 9am on Friday 1 June 2018.