Date Added: 13 March 2018
: 30 March 2018
Job Title: Constituency Assistant (part-time)
Working For: Patrick Harvie MSP
Salary: £22,658 pro-rata (22.2 hours per week)
Patrick Harvie MSP is looking for a part-time Constituency Assistant to join his team, based in his regional office in Glasgow. The role will involve being a primary point of contact for constituents to assist with a wide range of issues.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Handling general public enquiries.
• Dealing with daily written, email and telephone enquiries from constituents and others.
• Maintaining and managing diary appointments and providing support for meetings.
• Taking action to document and resolve enquiries and keeping the MSP fully briefed.
• Handling casework and providing advice and support to constituents on a range of local issues including liaising with government agencies, the voluntary sector and others.
• Ensuring cases are dealt with in a sensitive and confidential manner in compliance with relevant regulations including the requirements of the Data Protection Act.
• Managing own caseload and reporting on the progress of casework.
• Attending advice surgery meetings and other meetings as appropriate.
• Undertaking other general tasks as required by the MSP and supporting the general daily work of the MSP’s office where necessary.
• Patience, empathy and a genuine desire to help people with a wide variety of concerns, and confidence in handling difficult or challenging inquiries.
• Strong written, communication and analytical skills with attention to detail.
• Highly organised with the ability to manage and prioritise own caseload.
• A good telephone manner and ability to accurately record all information necessary to progress cases.
• A strong work ethic, reliability and a flexible approach as part of our small team.
• Ability to work independently and under pressure to tight deadlines.
• Awareness of central, devolved and local government structures.
• An understanding of Scottish politics and the political landscape in Glasgow.
• A commitment to supporting Patrick Harvie in pursuing his values and aspirations.
• Experience handling casework or correspondence, or working in a customer service environment.
• Previous experience of working in a political or public affairs environment.
• Understanding of Green values and political aspirations.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 30 March 2018
Interviews to start immediately. Candidates will be sent a written task 48 hours to complete before their interview and be submitted on the day of the interview. The starting date will be agreed with the successful applicant.
Closing time: 12 noon.
Applicants should send a CV and a one-page cover letter setting out their experience, why they want the role and why they should be considered to firstname.lastname@example.org.