Date Added: 12 January 2018
: 26 January 2018
Job Title: Parliamentary Assistant
Working For: Sharon Hodgson MP (Washington and Sunderland West)
Salary: Within IPSA payscales
Sharon Hodgson, MP for Washington and Sunderland West and Shadow Minister for Public Health, is looking for the ideal candidate to join her hard-working, fast-paced and committed team in Parliament to assist in her Parliamentary work.
This would be an ideal opportunity for a candidate with at least one year’s experience as a Parliamentary Assistant who is looking to work for a frontbench spokesperson who is an active Member of Parliament.
Responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
• Dealing with and monitoring incoming telephone and visitor enquiries, responding to emails and letters, efficient data and file management;
• Opening and dispatching mail where necessary;
• Drafting political responses to constituent correspondence and keeping records on the caseworker.mp software;
• Undertaking photocopying, scanning and formatting of documents;
• Assisting with the running of various All-Party Parliamentary Groups (APPGs);
• Ensuring office records are kept and an efficient filing system is in place and up to date;
• Adhering to the Data Protection Act principles and respecting the confidentiality of data at all times;
• Liaising on behalf of Sharon with relevant groups/personnel within Westminster and within the Constituency, including liaison with outside organisations and the general public;
• Performing other duties as and when required.
Knowledge of caseworker.mp software as well as Microsoft Office would be an advantage. Previous experience of working for a Labour politician in Westminster is highly desirable.
Initial contract will be for one calendar year, pending a successful probationary period of 6 months and further review towards the end of the contract.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 26 January 2018
The deadline for applications is 6pm.
Interviews will take place on Thursday 1st February. We may hold 2nd interviews on Friday 2nd February if needed. If you anticipate a problem with interview dates, please make this clear when you apply.
Please send a short covering letter (maximum 1 side of A4) detailing why you are interested in the job and your CV (maximum 2 sides of A4) to email@example.com, putting PASH18 as the subject line.