Date Added: 12 January 2018
: 31 January 2018
Job Title: Parliamentary Diary and Research Assistant
Working For: Rushanara Ali MP (Bethnal Green and Bow)
The focus of the role will be to support Rushanara’s Parliamentary office with her work in the House of Commons whilst working closely with her constituency office.
This role requires a highly motivated, dynamic and very organised individual with good political skills. You will be required to provide research and administrative support as well as support, working to support Rushanara’s parliamentary work.
Bethnal Green and Bow is an exciting, dynamic and diverse part of London and this is a great opportunity to gain valuable experience in Westminster, and to join a vibrant team supporting Rushanara’s work in the constituency and nationally.
• Assisting with the arrangement of events in parliament and locally;
• Providing support managing Rushanara’s diary;
• Liaising with a wide variety of important stakeholders, often acting as the first point-of-contact for Rushanara’s office;
• Dealing with correspondence, telephone enquiries and emails and providing timely responses;
• Ensuring office records are kept efficiently and are up to date;
• Assisting with research for parliamentary and constituency issues;
• Responding to media bids and liaising with journalists and media outlets.
• To prepare for debates and questions in the House of Commons;
• To monitor bills, Early Day Motions, Hansard, debates, etc;
• To provide timely and accurate parliamentary research.
• Excellent attention to detail and confident at prioritising tasks - essential
• An ability to work on sensitive issues, with confidentiality – essential
• Strong organisational and time management skills and the ability to work under pressure to tight deadlines – essential
• Excellent communications skills, administrative and IT skills – essential
• A demonstrable interest in UK politics and current affairs – desirable
• Knowledge of parliamentary processes – desirable
• Knowledge of the constituency – desirable
• A commitment to the aims and values of the Labour Party
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 31 January 2018
Interviews are likely to take place on 8th February 2018 with any starting date to be soon after this.
Please send your CV (not longer than two pages) with a one page covering letter setting out your suitability for the job to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please make sure to put the job title along with your full name in the subject field.
Please note that due to the expected high volume of responses, unsuccessful applicants will not be contacted.