Date Added: 6 December 2017
: 31 January 2018
Job Title: Part-time Caseworker
Working For: Sam Gyimah MP (East Surrey)
Location: East Surrey/Home/Westminster
Salary: In line with IPSA pay scales
Sam Gyimah MP is looking for a Caseworker to work in either in the constituency, remotely, or in Westminster (depending on the candidate's preference). The role will be to support Sam in handling a variety of constituents’ concerns on issues ranging from health, social care, schools, housing through to immigration. You will liaise with the relevant public bodies in order to help resolve constituents’ concerns. This role involves advocating for and representing constituents, as well as providing information, advice and support on aspects of government policy that may relate to their particular concern.
The position is suitable for someone who enjoys problem solving, has excellent interpersonal skills and is highly organised. It would be ideal for someone who has held a previous advisory role, eg in the Citizens Advice Bureau or an advisor in local government.
- Deal with daily queries from constituents by phone, email or in person, taking the appropriate initial action to resolve, document or escalate their concerns or enquiries.
- Attending and managing surgeries and other meetings as appropriate
- Gather relevant information from constituents in order to progress or close the case.
- Ensure cases are dealt with in a sensitive and confidential manner in line with the Data Protection Act.
- Other duties as and when required
- Problem solver – ability to be resourceful and logical in helping constituents
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to deal with constituents in a compassionate and sensitive way
- Highly organised in order to prioritise and manage competing demands
- Excellent written and oral skills
- Competent use of IT and the ability to adapt quickly to new software.
- Knowledge of the constituency would be an advantage
- Interest in politics and policy
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 31 January 2018
Interviews will be held on a rolling basis, with a start date as soon as possible. We may appoint before the closing date.
Please email a CV (max 2 sides A4) and covering letter (1 side A4) setting out relevant experience and what you think you can bring to the role to email@example.com, with the subject line “Caseworker application”. For more details, please contact Catherine Wynn on 0207 219 1197, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Due to the volume of applications, it may not always be possible to acknowledge all applicants.