Date Added: 12 October 2017
: 27 October 2017
Job Title: Parliamentary Assistant and Researcher
Working For: Mary Robinson MP (Cheadle)
Salary: In line with IPSA payscales
Mary Robinson MP is looking to recruit a friendly, hardworking and experienced Parliamentary Assistant/Researcher in Westminster.
The salary is negotiable within the IPSA payscales and dependent on experience.
We are looking for a candidate who should have some experience of working in Parliament or a political environment. The successful candidate will not only be responsible for helping train an intern in Westminster, but also for assisting and advising the busy constituency team with casework issues.
• Undertake research and support of parliamentary activities
• Draft parliamentary speeches and questions
• Attend meetings with or on behalf of Mary as required
• Monitor parliamentary business, oral questions and identify potential areas for input by Mary
• Prepare briefings and assist Mary with her duties on the Communities and Local Government Select Committee
• Research for and drafting of speeches, articles and correspondence
• Manage Mary’s Westminster diary and supporting Mary’s day to day requirements in London
• Assist with replies to correspondence, particularly relating to policy issues.
• Liaising with the constituency team regarding all casework to monitor response times and working with them to see how Mary could progress cases and causes in Parliament
• Helping train and manage a London-based intern, as well as also supervising work experience placements in Westminster.
The successful candidate will have the following attributes/abilities:
• Experience of working in Parliament or in a similar political role
• Highly organised with the ability to prioritise and manage a busy workload
• Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
• A keen interest in politics and current affairs
• Ability to work as part of a team and independently
• Strong research and IT skills
• Sympathetic to the aims and values of the Conservative Party
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 27 October 2017
Interviews will be arranged as quickly as possible at a mutually convenient time. Start date will be as soon as possible.
We may appoint a candidate before the closing date.
Please send your CV and a covering letter to Michael Horwood, Mary’s Office Manager by e-mailing Michael.firstname.lastname@example.org, explaining your suitability for the role. Please also confirm you have the required level of experience of working in Westminster.