Date Added: 12 October 2017
: 17 November 2017
Job Title: Constituency Assistant
Working For: Jenny Chapman MP (Darlington)
Jenny is looking for an ambitious and pro-active individual to join her close-knit team in Darlington. A sense of humour and team spirit is vital as you help to ensure the smooth running of the office and deliver a first rate service to the people of Darlington.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Dealing with standard queries from members of the public – in person, over the phone and by e-mail and letter and responding where possible, passing on to other staff as appropriate.
- Assisting with the organisation of a range of meetings and events across the constituency.
- Assisting with research for both national and local projects.
- Monitoring local media coverage and keeping the team up-to-date with issues requiring follow-up.
- Retain records and information confidentially and in line with the Data Protection Act.
- Draft responses to constituents.
- Some office administrative and secretarial duties: printing, filing and general organisation of materials and resources.
Some occasional weekend and evening work may be required. Opportunities for training and development will be offered regularly.
- Excellent proven interpersonal and written communication skills with a positive and flexible approach.
- Excellent IT skills.
- Experience writing copy for websites and running and maintaining professional social media platforms.
- Ability to draft letters and emails to a high professional standard with a sharp eye for accuracy.
- Sympathetic to the aims and values of the Labour Party.
- Ability to show initiative and work independently, but be a vital member of a close-knit team.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 17 November 2017
Applications must be submitted before noon.
Interviews to be held on week commencing Monday 27th November.
To start Tuesday 2nd January 2018.
Please send your CV, a covering letter detailing your suitability for this role (no more than one side of A4) and an example of your writing (no more than 500 words) to email@example.com.