Date Added: 12 October 2017
: 23 October 2017
Job Title: Parliamentary Intern
Working For: Neil Coyle MP (Bermondsey and Old Southwark)
Salary: In line with IPSA pay scales (4 days a week)
Part time, 4 days a week. 3 month fixed-term contract with an aim to extend.
Neil Coyle, Member of Parliament for Bermondsey and OId Southwark, is looking for a highly- motivated parliamentary intern to support the work of his busy constituency office. Students welcome.
- To provide information, advice and support to constituents on a variety of issues and liaise with government agencies, the voluntary sector and others to help resolve matters for constituents.
- To research, draft and respond to a high volume of policy casework
- Manage own caseload and ensuring all cases are dealt with in a sensitive and confidential manner and accurate records are kept adhering to the principles of the Data Protection Act.
- Deal with daily queries from Neil’s constituents, gathering relevant information and taking the appropriate action to progress or resolve the case.
- Draft responses and respond to constituents on any issues raised on behalf of the Member and maintain an up-to-date knowledge of relevant guidelines/legislation as appropriate in dealing with casework.
- Liaise with relevant groups within the constituency and communicate appropriately with internal and external contacts.
- Liaise with local councillors on local issues and surgeries
- Assist the Member at weekly constituency surgeries and ensuring the office is kept in a presentable and welcoming state.
- Analyse patterns of enquiries and produce reports when required.
- Research and respond to policy casework and enquiries on a variety of issues
- Empathetic, tactful and sensitive when dealing with constituent enquiries, with an ability to prioritise workload and work to strict deadlines.
- Able to work effectively as part of a team.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and confident interacting with people at all levels.
- Able to prioritise a demanding workload and an eye for detail.
- Sympathetic to the aims and values of the Labour Party.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 23 October 2017
Interview/Start Dates: as soon as impossible.
Please send a short covering letter showing how you meet key responsibilities and a CV of not more than two sides of A4 to email@example.com.