Date Added: 21 September 2017
: 13 October 2017
Job Title: Volunteer
Working For: Alan Mak MP (Havant)
Salary: Expenses to be discussed at interview
Based in Westminster, this volunteer position would ideally suit a recent graduate, or anyone wishing to gain political and policy experience in a varied and exciting role.
Reasonable expenses can be discussed at interview. We would prefer to offer a placement of at least four to six months, and exact timings can be agreed on a volunteer basis.
The successful candidate will be a pro-active and hardworking individual, with strong communication, IT, and organisational skills.
Areas the volunteer could be involved with include:
• Working with the Senior Parliamentary Assistant and the Member of Parliament on a range of policy tasks,
including research, writing briefings, and event management;
• Supporting the operations of the Fourth Industrial Revolution All-Party Parliamentary Group;
• Supporting the Caseworker with constituency correspondence;
• Undertaking general administrative/secretarial tasks;
• Assisting with the work of other colleagues as required and communicating with internal contacts and local stakeholders;
• Other ad-hoc duties as required.
Volunteers must have the following skills and qualities:
• Strong communication and organisational skills, and ability to take the initiative;
• Hardworking, flexible, pro-active team player, with the ability to operate within tight deadlines;
• IT Skills (Microsoft Office and internet research);
• Strong attention to detail and an ability to prioritise tasks;
• Sympathetic to the aims and values of the Conservative Party.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
The role being advertised is a voluntary one. As such, there are no set hours and responsibilities and you should be free to come and go as you wish. If the post demands set hours and/or has a specific job description you may be deemed to be a ‘worker’ and be covered by National Minimum Wage/National Living Wage legislation. See http://www.w4mp.org/jobs-listings-events/jobs/
advertising-jobs-with-w4mp/volunteers/what-is-the-national-minimum-wage/ for more information about National Minimum Wage/National Living Wage.
Closing Date: 13 October 2017
Please send a CV and covering letter to email@example.com. Please include “Volunteer Position” in your subject line, and indicate in the body of your email the hours you would be willing to volunteer on a per-week basis.
You should also include two examples of written work (e.g. letter, blog, article).
Due to the anticipated level of interest we will be unable to provide individual feedback, and will only contact those invited to interview.