Date Added: 12 September 2017
: 20 September 2017
Job Title: Editor
Working For: European Council on Foreign Relations (ECFR)
Location: London or Berlin
Salary: £32k - £38k per annum
The Editor has a vital role in ensuring that ECFR’s written work is produced to the highest standards. Working closely with the research director, the editor will shepherd ECFR reports, briefs, memos, and other works through the publications process. This involves working closely with the heads of programmes and authors to identify and establish the aims, argument, structure, and scope of each publication and facilitating the involvement of all relevant stakeholders in the process. In addition to helping shape publications at inception, the editor will oversee the production of all publications, which entails structural editing, line editing and rewriting of publications, creating infographics, maps, and charts, and overseeing publication design. The editor will occasionally edit texts for the website, as well as op-eds and other written outputs, in conjunction with communications staff.
- Coordinate and participate in the process to determine what ECFR should publish.
- Ensure that aims, argument, and methodology of a publication are clear.
- Ensure that publications meet ECFR quality standards.
- Establish and maintain realistic timetables.
- Ensure close involvement of internal stakeholders.
- Liaise with relevant internal and external contacts as part of the publication proposal or review process.
- Edit and rewrite publications and web texts, as well as, where necessary, op-eds and other written outputs.
- Manage freelance editors and designers, establish and maintain high standards. Create original infographics, charts, and maps to accompany publications.
- Proven track record of editing and re-writing texts under time pressure.
- Experience in editing the work of non-native speakers, and experts in their fields.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with a flawless command of written English; other European languages an asset.
- Proven print journalistic experience.
- Able to analyse written texts and identify the key points and structure of argument, and work with authors to bring them out.
- Strong understanding of foreign policy and international politics.
- IT proficient in MS office, Adobe InDesign and Illustrator or equivalent, and other related systems.
- Able to multi-task, work to deadlines, and manage a complex workload.
Closing Date: 20 September 2017
Please submit a one page covering letter (with ref: EDT17 in the subject line) and your CV via the ‘Apply Link’ on our website - http://www.ecfr.eu/jobs/offer/editor. Please restrict your CV to no more than two pages of A4. Candidates must have permission to work in the EU.