Date Added: 17 July 2017
: 11 August 2017
Job Title: Policy and Public Affairs Executive
Working For: Federation of Master Builders
Salary: £21,000 plus benefits
About the Federation of Master Builders
The Federation of Master Builders (FMB) is the largest trade association in the UK construction industry representing thousands of firms in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Established in 1941 to protect the interests of small and medium-sized (SME) construction firms, the FMB is independent and non-profit making, lobbying for members’ interests at both the national and local level.
About the position
The FMB is recruiting a Policy and Public Affairs Executive to assist with the delivery of our policy and public affairs functions. This person will form an integral part of a successful External Affairs team responsible for developing the FMB’s credibility, influence and profile in line with our strategic objectives. The Policy and Public Affairs Executive will also support projects and activities relating to public relations objectives, as and when required. This role would suit a recent graduate with policy research experience, or someone looking to take a challenging first step in a career in policy and public affairs.
- Monitor political and policy developments and their impact on construction SMEs to identify priority issues for the FMB.
- Develop robust policy positions on a range of issues of importance to FMB members.
- Assist with the development of an external affairs strategy and ensure it is implemented.
- Build and maintain relationships with key political stakeholders to increase the FMB’s credibility and influence within central and local Government, Parliament and the devolved administrations in the UK.
- Manage a cross-party Parliamentary contact programme.
- Manage Parliamentary events and other briefing activities.
- Draft consultation responses drawing on the FMB’s policy positions and the experience and expertise of FMB members.
- Advise the Chief Executive, Senior Management Team, Hub Directors and members on engagement with key political stakeholders.
- Create opportunities to influence public policy via the media.
Skills, knowledge and qualifications
For more information about the scope and requirements for this role, and a full list of essential and desirable skills, knowledge and qualifications, please visit the FMB website: https://www.fmb.org.uk/about-the-fmb/vacancies/
Closing Date: 11 August 2017
Interviews will take place in the weeks following 11th August.
Please email a CV and covering letter explaining why you feel you are suitable for the position to Andrew Dixon, FMB Head of Policy, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or contact 020 7025 2902 for an informal chat about the position.