Date Added: 18 June 2017
: 3 July 2017
Job Title: Constituency Caseworker
Working For: Alex Sobel MP (Leeds North West)
Salary: £16,941 - £27,876 depending on experience, IPSA pay scale (3 days per week)
Alex Sobel is a Labour and Co-operative Party MP looking for a highly motivated caseworker to support the work of his busy constituency office in Leeds.
Alex became an MP in the 2017 election and is setting up an office, initially the person will be based in Headingley.
The successful candidate will provide information, advice and support to constituents on a variety of issues and liaise with government agencies, the voluntary sector and others to help resolve matters for constituents.
• Attend surgeries and other meetings to assist the Member in dealing with constituents’ issues.
• Deal with queries from constituents by phone or in person, and provide information, advice and support on a wide range of issues including housing, benefits, immigration, and other matters, gathering relevant information and taking the appropriate action to progress or resolve the case.
• Manage own caseload and progress of casework, ensuring all cases are dealt with in a sensitive and confidential manner and accurate records are kept.
• On behalf of the Member, responding to constituents on casework and policy issues raised, undertaking research thoroughly and accurately, and drafting correspondence which reflects the Member’s views.
• Maintain up-to-date knowledge of relevant guidelines/legislation as appropriate in dealing with casework.
• Analyse patterns of enquiries and produce reports.
• Undertake general administrative, secretarial and other tasks.
• Liaise with relevant groups.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills and confident interacting with people at all levels.
• Able to prioritise a demanding workload to meet deadlines and an eye for detail.
• Able to deal with issues in a confidential manner.
• Able to work effectively in a small team.
• Competent use of IT. Experience of a casework management system would be beneficial.
• Experience of working and dealing with the general public.
• Previous experience in an MP’s office is desirable, but not essential, but experience with an advisory service such as the CAB or a Union is required.
• Awareness and understanding of current political issues.
• Sympathetic to the aims and objectives of the Labour Party and/or Co-operative Parties.
The role is 3 days per week.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 3 July 2017
Interviews either 7th or 10th July.
Please send a covering letter of no more than 4 sides outlining how you fifulfil the person specification and how you have or could fulfil the key tasks of the role along with a CV of no more than 2 sides to firstname.lastname@example.org.